F-Spot 0.8.0 Released!
We are happy to announce that F-Spot 0.8.0 has been released! This is the first stable release since 0.6.2 back and packs a large number of new features as well as improvements. Nearly 300 bugs were closed during this cycle. It’s this release that should land in your distributions soon.
Some highlights in the new version
- A completely new import system, which solves most of the crashes and memory-hunger of the old one.
- A switch to Taglib#, which brings much more robust and safe metadata handling.
- New and improved duplicate detection.
- Reparenting (combining photos as versions of each other) with drag / drop.
- Completely new documentation.
- A remove from camera option.
- Monodevelop support.
- Photo panning using the mouse.
- Stability, performance, memory and usability fixes in a lot of places.
Full details can be found in the announcements of the unstable versions: 0.7.0, 0.7.1, 0.7.2, 0.7.3.
We will continue to work on the 0.8 series and provide enhancements and bug-fixes for a long period of time. No new features will be added here, but we will put an effort into fixing existing problems. This ensures that there is always a working and good version of F-Spot available for end-users. In the mean time we start working on big and radical changes in the master branch of git, with periodical 0.9 development releases.
Getting the code
This release should become available through your normal distribution packages. For those who can’t wait: you can get all of this goodness through GNOME FTP, the OpenSUSE build service or the F-Spot team PPA (packages will be up shortly). More info can be found in the release announcement.
A word of thanks
None of this was possible without the army of people that helped building this:
Ademir Mendoza, Alex Launi, Anton Keks, Bertrand Lorentz, Christian Krause, Christopher Halse Rogers, Daniel Köb, Eric Faehnrich, Evan Briones, Gabriel Burt, Harold Schreckengost, Iain Churcher, Iain Lane, Lorenzo Milesi, Łukasz Jernaś, Mike Gemünde, Mike Wallick, Nick Van Eeckhout, Paul Lange, Paul Wellner Bou, Peter Goetz, Ruben Vermeersch, Tim Retout, Tomas Kovacik, Trevor Buchanan, Vincent Pomey, Wojciech Dzierżanowski
Special kudos to the translators (we have 12 fully complete translations and 37 translations with over 80% coverage):
Andika Triwidada (Indonesian), Andrej Žnidaršič (Slovenian), Aron Xu (Simplified Chinese), Bruce Cowan (British English), Bruno Brouard (French), Cheng-Chia Tseng (Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong and Taiwan)), Christian Kirbach (German), Claude Paroz (French), Daniel Nylander (Swedish), Filipe Gomes (Portuguese), Fran Diéguez (Galician), Gabor Kelemen (Hungarian), Joe Hansen (Danish), Jordi Mas (Catalan), Jorge González (Spanish), Kjartan Maraas (Norwegian bokmål), Mario Blättermann (German), Mattias Põldaru (Estonian), Michel Recondo (Brazilian Portuguese), Miloš Popović (Serbian), Sira Nokyoongtong (Thai), Wolfgang Stöggl (German), Xandru Armesto (Asturian), Yoshizumi ENDO (Japanese), Zdeněk Hataš (Czech), Милош Поповић (Serbian)
- F-Spot 0.7.3 Released! (September 9, 2010)
- F-Spot 0.7.2 Released! (August 11, 2010)
- Diving into the unknown: Looking for a new job (July 20, 2010)
- F-Spot 0.7.1 Released! (July 14, 2010)
- F-Spot 0.7.0 Released! (June 16, 2010)