GUADEC 2008 Review
Am currently flying back from Istanbul to Brussels, with an in-between stop in München. Looking over the fluffy clouds beneath me, I wrote down some of my thoughts on the latest GUADEC:
- It was my first GUADEC, so I cannot compare, but this one was awesome!
- Kudos to the local team, very friendly and helpful people.
- Kudos to Baris for organizing it all, must have been an insane task, but it was executed well.
- Istanbul is a wonderful city, that never sleeps. Jackhammering at night is the most normal thing in the world.
- Meeting all these wonderful people is an enormous source of motivation and inspiration
- Oh btw, did somebody mention we hired Stormy Peters as our new CEO? Stand up Stormy! *applause* Meeting Stormy and talking to her was very pleasant and gave me great confidence on her suitability for the task, as well as the future of GNOME.
- Parties on boats rock. Totally.
- Lots of people stayed for a few days of tourism after the conference, leading to pleasant meetups in the evenings
- Swimming near ferry terminals is a good way to lose your sandals. These boats, even from a large distance, create huge waves. Good thing I managed to recover them, saving us from a barefoot walk home
- Turkish people are very friendly, apart from some crooked taxi drivers (which you recognize quite easily).
In all, I’m very satisfied, hope to see all of you back soon.